Our Commitment Our Planet
Southcentre takes its commitment to sustainability seriously. We strive to employ eco-friendly practices across the property at our events, in our Executive Tower, and in the day to day operations of the shopping centre. Southcentre has continuously increased its targets for reducing waste year after year.
The shopping centre is equipped with 4 garbage compactors, 3 cardboard compactors and 1 organics compactor. All cardboard, paper, bottles, cans and plastics are recycled on site. Retailers are encouraged to participate in the waste reduction program to ensure Southcentre not only meets our targets but exceeds them.
Oxford Properties Group is dedicated to finding best practices for environmental design and operation, and its Sustainable Intelligence program is constantly evolving and growing. To learn more about this program, visit sustainable.oxfordproperties.com.
Southcentre has taken sustainability steps to keep bees buzzing and protect pollination by partnering with Honey Meadow Farms to adopt beehives. The hives will live on the rooftop to support and help grow the bee population by integrating the bees in the community. The world bee population has been suffering declines due to habitat loss, climate change and other factors over the last few decades and we believe strongly in helping them in our own small way. We look forward to hosting our new tenants each summer!
Awards & Accolades
- 2013 – WINNER: Oxford Sustainable Intelligence Property of the Year
- 2014 – WINNER: Oxford Greenest Office Challenge
- 2015 – WINNER: Oxford Sustainability Performance Award
- 2017 – CERTIFIED: BOMA Best, Certified Bronze
What we do now
- Mixed use waste stations/bins: beverage recycling, mixed recycling, and landfill collection is available at all waste stations/bins in the centre
- Back-of-house organics program: all food service providers and restaurants participate in our organic waste program, diverting organics from the landfill into composting facilities instead
- Water bottle refill stations: three water bottle refill stations are available in the centre. One in the Food Court, one by the lower level washrooms, and one in our children’s play area, ROAR Play Park
- Yearly participation in Earth Hour
- Use Ech2o chemical free autoscrubbers cleaning supplies
- Our Annual PINK Stampede Breakfast is also GREEN, with the support of Green Calgary
- Dedicated Green Team: a team made up of Southcentre Administration, Security, and Maintenance staff meets on a monthly basis to evaluate our green activities, implement new programs, and plan future initiatives
- Installed ExactET irrigation system in 2006, reducing our water consumption for exterior landscaping. We saw a reduction of 9,639,800 litres in 2016 alone!
- Continue to upgrade and enhance our building automation systems. In the past 3 years we have reduced our electricity (kWh) by 8%
- Back-of-house recycling centre: for all retailers and tenants
Our Green Goals
- Electric vehicle charging
- Solar power
- Community initiatives and involvement
- Enhance current organics program to include all areas of the Centre.
Do you have a great ‘green’ idea? Want some more information on our programs?
Have some feedback to give us? Please email email@example.com.